Chicago Red Stars Press Release - www.ChicagoRedStars.com
Monday, October 26, 2009
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. – The Chicago Red Stars recently announced the signing of former FC Indiana standout Julianne Sitch for the team’s 2010 Women’s Professional Soccer season. Per team policy, terms of her contract are not released, and Sitch’s official signing is pending the league’s approval.
Sitch made her WPS debut this past season for the champion Sky Blue FC. She started in 11 of 16 regular-season games, netting her first goal on June 28 against Saint Louis Athletica.
“I am very happy to be coming home to Chicago to continue my playing career,” Sitch said. “I’ve always dreamt about playing in my hometown, where all of my family and friends -- who have supported me throughout my career -- can come and watch. I love Chicago. I love Toyota Park and the energy it brings to the game. I couldn’t be more happy and I’m excited for the season to start!”
Sitch has a rich soccer history throughout the Chicago area. She is best known for her groundbreaking efforts for the DePaul University women’s soccer program, where she shattered many records during her 2002-2005 tenure.
Some of her career records include most goals scored (32), most assists (26) and most points (90). She also was the program’s first All-American, earning NSCAA All-America second team honors in 2003. Sitch was the 2003 Conference USA Player of the Year.
Sitch is a 2002 graduate of Oswego High School in Chicago’s southwest suburbs, where she posted 18 goals and 14 assists during her senior season and was named to the Chicago Tribune All-State Team.
Among Sitch’s club experience before joining WPS, Sitch played for FC Indiana in the W-League, finishing as the league’s runner-up in 2008. She also has played for the Chicago Gaels (2007), Balinge IF in Sweden’s Damallsvenskan (2006), Hampton Roads Piranhas (2005) and Chicago Cobras (2001-2004).
JULIANNE SITCH BIO:
Birth Date: 9/18/1983
Previous Team: Sky Blue FC
How Acquired: 2009 free agent
• Played for the 2009 Women’s Professional Soccer champion Sky Blue FC.
• Started in 11 of 16 regular-season games played, scoring a goal in 996 minutes. Sitch netted her first WPS goal in the 76th minute during a 2-1 loss to Saint Louis Athletica on June 28.
• Played for the U.S. U-21 National Team, winning the Nordic Cup in 2004.
• Played for the U.S. U-19 National Team.
• Played for FC Indiana in the W-League in 2008, finishing as league runner-up.
• Previously played for the Chicago Gaels (2007), Hampton Roads Piranhas (2005) and the Chicago Cobras (2001-2004) in the W-League.
• Named to the W-League All-League team in 2003.
• Played for Balinge IF in Sweden's Damallsvenskan in 2006.
• Played for DePaul University from 2002-2005.
• Named the 2003 Conference USA Player of the Year.
• Earned NSCAA All-America second team honors in 2003. Sitch was the program’s first All-American.
• Holds DePaul school records for goals (32), assists (26) and points (90).
• 2002 graduate of Oswego High School in Oswego, Ill.
• Named to the Chicago Tribune All-State Team following her senior season. She had 18 goals and 14 assists for the Oswego Panthers in 2002.
The Chicago Red Stars completed their inaugural Women’s Professional Soccer season earlier this year. Season tickets for the 2010 season are currently on sale. For more information, log on to www.ChicagoRedStars.com or call 866-WPS-2009.